I’m really enamored with all of the Mercury Glass I’ve been seeing in catalogs lately. I think it’s so pretty and shiny. Perfect for holiday decorating.
The other day when I was rummaging under my sink, I came across this old vase that originally held a floral arrangement. I think everyone has these lurking somewhere in their homes. Found: the perfect victim for a DIY experiment.
I purchased some silver leaf, leaf adhesive and sealer at Michael’s.
First, I sprayed the adhesive on the inside of the vase. It looks cloudy at first, but as it sets up, it starts to turn clear.
Next, came the
Keep placing the leaf sheets until the whole inside of the vase is covered.
I used my fingers and a brush to smooth out the inside surface. Then I took the brush and rubbed it a bit to distress it. I was really looking for a distressed, well used look.
A coat of sealer on the inside, and it’s done. It’s not quite like Mercury Glass, but I think it’s still pretty. I really like how the spaces and cracks between the leaf stand out. Perfect for the holidays.