Saturday

Creature from the Craft Closet

I am SO proud of myself. I finally finished my son’s quilt. It only took me six years! You see, I love starting projects. I’m just not so good at finishing them. I also have a bit of a fabric addiction. I’m like a crack addict when I get into a fabric store. My heart starts beating faster and I start imagining all the beautiful things I can make. I LOVE the color, pattern, and texture of a beautiful bolt of fabric. But, I always bite off just a little more than I can chew. I overestimate how much free time I have, or I just get bored, and move on to something else. Then I tuck the big unfinished pile of in the back of my craft closet and forget about it until I’m digging through there looking for something. This unfinished creature has been lurking in my closet and haunting me for many years now.

Here’s the finished product. It’s actually quite beautiful. It looks much better in person. Thankfully when I chose the fabric, I chose nice masculine fabric that wasn’t too babyish. The little boy I started the quilt for is now 13! I can’t believe I have a teenager, but that’s another story entirely. The pattern is also very simple, called “Fence Rail”. It’s from the book, Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! : The Complete Guide to Quiltmaking by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes. This is an awesome quilting reference that I highly recommend.

Now if I could just finish my daughter’s quilt that I started eight years ago!

21 comments:

  1. Hi from SITS! This is beautiful! I have never made a quilt before, but it is something I am planning to try! I'll probably start with some simple squares. I also have lots of unfinished projects going on over here... sigh! Great job with the quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is so lovely! It's something I've always wanted to do...you've inspired me.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is a gorgeous work of art!! Stopping by to welcome you to SITS. I know that you will enjoy being a part of this vibrant community of bloggers!
    carma :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an awesome job on the quilt! I love fabric stores too but can't sew to save my life. Very pretty and congrats on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Congrats on finishing!

    I came by to welcome you to SITS! We're happy to have you with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very pretty, but masculine. 6 years? wow! happy quilting with your daughters quilt...
    Its something they will treasure...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful. Definitely worth the wait.

    Welcome to SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! I started mine in 2002...is it finished...nope...lol All I need to do is finish the hand quilting and binding but for some reason it still sits :) Stopping in to welcome you to SITS!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're on a roll....keep up the amazing work!!! Ummmm, can I get on the list. I'm in my late 30's so another 10 years or so will work for me. :)

    Welcome to SITS!

    Come on over and check out my "You Pick" photo giveaway from a very talented lady. (Not me)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carolyn, it's gorgeous!

    Stopping by to welcome you to the SITS community!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You did an amazing job. Despite taking you that long - I'd say it was worth waiting for. It's beautiful! Here from SITS to welcome you to the gang! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I quilt for a teenage boy, now that takes talent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stoppin' by from SITS! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This quilt is gorgeous. It's a treasure, and your son will have a wonderful story to tell as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a serial starter too! I broke down and had The DH build me some shelves in my work space JUST so I could see how much stuff I have and STILL need to finish. GREAT job there though deary. Stopping by (late, cuz that's how I roll) from the SITS Welcomistas to welcome you to SITS. See ya at roll call or stop by my blog some time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great! I don't know if I could last that long. I'm not crafty though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Projects always sound so "do-able" don't they? I started a quilt for my daughter, eight years ago, out of her baby clothes. Bought a cutting matt and rotary cutter and everything....BUT I dont have a sewing machine or sew. It seemed like a great idea :)

    Your sons quilt is beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's fantastic! Worth the wait, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Returning visit from SITS! I really have to show this to my girlfriend! She is going to her first quiliting session this evening at a local craft store. She will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. and you should feel so very proud. :) beautiful. :) well done.

    Visiting from SITS! Have a great day. Your blog is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful... I love quilts. They remind me of my mom :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note!